Let me tell you about someone very special. Perhaps you will believe me right away when I say he’s awesome, but I am sure there will be some skeptics. As such, I bring you proof: There was that time he bought me a whole pound of Valrhona Cocoa Powder, just because. Or that time I told him I was craving toast from The Bachelor Farmer, and I came home from work to find he had made an entire meal just like it. Also, when we moved from Saint Paul to Minneapolis-and we’d been packing and cleaning and not sleeping-and he let me curl up in a blanket inside the bed frame he was putting together just to talk off my bad day at work. Or that time I told him about my plans to go to graduate school and he went out immediately to buy me a GRE book. He reads and comments on every one of my posts, faithfully. And I will never forget how he listened intently to me recite my thesis presentation over and over and over again until I got it right (and later, aced it!). I will never be done with this list of marvelous things he has done, but I think I may stop here. While there are many more instances I can think of to share with you, it seems that, at this point, you should have at least a working understanding of how awesome my darling Daniel is.
Today is his birthday. Which means we absolutely must make a fuss over him. And that means making his favorite thing in the world–marshmallow crispy treats. It is pure coincidence that I happened to crack the code for making the perfect crispy treat; I promise you, I did not slave over the stove trying to make these for him. It just happened serendipitously, sort of like the day we met.
I will tell that story another day, just as I will one day share the fortuitous events that led to my creation of the perfect, crunch-and-still-somehow-melt-in-your-mouth marshmallow crispy treats. Granted, the latter storytelling will be much, much sooner (i.e., in next week’s post). Until then, enjoy these impossibly gooey treats with us in honor of Danny’s birthday!
Marshmallow Crispy Treats
Makes 9 treats
5 tbsp unsalted butter
10 oz marshmallows (or 4 cups of mini marshmallows)
5 cups crispy rice cereal
- Grease one 8x8x2 pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- When butter has melted completely, reduce heat to low and add marshmallows. Stir constantly (this is what makes the perfect, gooey-crisp consistency) until the marshmallows have melted completely.
- Remove from heat and add rice cereal, stirring to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, pressing the mixture into the corners to ensure it is evenly spread.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes, then slice into squares and serve. To store, keep in an airtight container. Treats will last up to 3-4 days.